Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 1: Arriving in Managua

Stepping off the plane in Managua, I was hit by the familiar muggy heat of Nicaragua’s capital city. Though it had been nearly four years since I last set foot in the country, memories flooded back to me. Most of all, I remembered how many of my initial expectations had been corrected by living and working in the country for nearly two months.            

I was accompanied by Laura Hill, MD, PGY-1 of the Hahnemann Family Health Center (top) and Stephanie Stormes, MD, PGY-1, one of my fellow interns at the Barre Family Health Center.

Cesar Pineda (son of Julio, see Day 7 above) met us at the Augusto Sandino Airport and drove us to Leon, our home for most of the next 10 days. On the ride to Leon, I was immediately re-immersed into speaking Spanish. Cesar and I talked about everything from his favorite baseball team, the Boston Red Sox, to his thoughts about politics in the U.S. and Nicaragua. We arrived in Leon tired after a long day of travel, but excited for the experiences that lay ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment